Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Sam Weber

During my sophomore year at School of Visual Arts, I had a class that I think I under appreciated at the time so I didn't invest much work as I wish I would've now. These things happen. Often.

In any case, the last class consisted of the students visiting our teacher's shared studio space.

When I saw this man Sam Weber's work, I was muddled in thought for a few seconds.

WHY HADN'T I LOOKED HIM UP EARLIER ON?

This man is an illustration BEAST. He's incredibly dexterous and his work isn't large scale and is very attentive to detail. These are things that I achieve for in my own work and aspire to hone, things I feel people underestimate in art, and his take on it blew my mind.

What he was working on at the time we visited were pieces he was commissioned for to use in an illustrated edition of the book Lord of The Flies by William Golding.

I looked up his website and found that image.



He did all this in ink and acrylic, in the excellent technique of layering.

I sometimes come across his work in bookstores and often find myself looking it up.
I only had a couple conversations with him when he was my teacher, but I have much more to say now and I wish I had more opportunity. He makes me want to do so much, and now that I remember how enthusiastic he was I wish I felt the same then.

His website is http://sampaints.com/.
Check him out, he is truly incredible.

-Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment